In recent times, Fashion has spread it’s wings across all age groups, microfashion being the most prominent. Contrary to popular belief, microfashion proves to be one of the most challenging genres, taking into consideration comfort, safety and of course style. With a lot of designers taking up this challenge, Kolkata based sisters Neelakshi (Nee) Ray and Oiendrila (Oink) Ray have been doing quite a job in dressing up little ones.
How it all started:
Nee & Oink was inspired by the sisters’ love for dressing up their kids, which married their background in fashion with a gap in the market. Nee & Oink’s designs capture the magic and enchantment of childhood, while always maintaining a sense that simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. While Nee’s style leans more towards classical silhouettes, Oink likes all things quirky; together they make an eclectic collection of clothes that are contemporary, earthy and fashionable.
The brand, after immense appreciation, launched their women’s wear range since Fall 2015.
1. The ethnic wear collection, Flower Birds, pays homage to opulent imports by the Mughals into 16th century India.
2. The easy-to-wear line (inspired by Portuguese murals) is specially designed for the modern, fuss-free woman, with embroidered pants complementing maxi tunics and intricate corsets paired with breezy shararas.
3. The pret collection is whimsically named Piping Hot, since bold contrasting piping is the only design element that runs through the entire collection
4. Bugs and Kisses, a unique Cocktail dresses collection is playful and a tad bit edgy with its flamboyantly hand-embroidered bugs
5. Wildwoods, the collection of printed separates (prints are developed in-house by Oiendrila every season), has a dramatic theme threading through it.
What we loved:
Special care is taken making the garments friendly to sensitive skin (especially for kids wear). Natural fabrics are used and buttons are hidden as a safety measure.
Where to shop:
1. From their store in Jodhpur Park, Kolkata
2. Their clothes are available on Amazon