When the City of Joy becomes synonymous with style and random window shopping has you peeking through stores of high fashion, you know you are nothing less than blessed to be a part of that city. With the iconic fashion label, Burberry opening it’s store doors in Quest Mall, Kolkata, the city sure has a lot to offer in terms of style and panache. Celebrating its launch with some of the most eminent and fashion forward people of Kolkata, we were formally introduced to the British brand.
So here are 5 interesting facts about Burberry which left me in awe.
1. The iconic Burberry trench coat was designed in the year 1914 for World War I to adapt to the conditions of warfare.
The trench coat has now become a huge rage popular amongst major style icons.
2. Burberry majorly operates under three brands: Burberry Prorsum, Burberry London and Burberry Brit. The collection is categorised based on design. Prorsum focuses on runway styles and inspiration while London and Brit are into Weekday work wear and Weekend casual wear respectively.
3. The Burberry checks was created in the year 1920 and was used as a lining for coats. The interesting part is, their checks can also be categorised. Some of them are the Horseferry, Haymarket, House, Nova, Supernova, Smoked, Exploded and the Beat. So every kind of Burberry piece can be divided and subdivided depending on it’s design.
4. In 1911, Burberry designed the outfit for Roald Amundsen, the first man to reach the South Pole
5. In 1880, Burberry introduced a kind of waterproof fabric called gabardine. This was an inspiration for the modern day water resistant clothing.
And while you ponder over these amazing facts, here are a few pictures from the Burberry opening party.
Sikkimese bakhhu worn as maxi dress: Gangtok
Golden clutch: Pantaloons
It’s December and it’s starting to get cold. What are your plans for Christmas? Do keep me posted!